Sunday, June 17, 2012

Introduction to the Order

The introduction to the order re-iterated many of the things from the slide presentation on HOPE.

However, a few new things stood out. It is because of this introduction that I dove into further research on the lore of Scathach and Cuchulain. And through that research back on December, came up with a Yule Ritual in honor of Scathach.

I will not repeat myself over the items that are the same from the HOPE presentation (or the blog entry I did for it).

I will note that I resonate with the 13 Precepts and the Code of Chivalry. I wrote on Know Thyself and will soon address the notion of Honor before tackling the selected Precept and Code for July to work on.

I recognize that I am but a novice in a way, despite 20 years of training and community work in Paganism. When asked to serve as a preceptory for the Order of Scathach in Montreal, I turned it down. My reasons are rooted in a sense of responsibility. I do not feel properly prepared to represent an Order of Knighthood that I am only just starting to train in myself. When I have reached the Mastery level, then I will welcome that role. For now, I am a novice, a beginner on this path. I have read "Wiccan Warrior" and will later make an official review of it as I have for each of these lessons.

I see that the rank of novice wears a white belt over a black karate uniform. I will have to get myself a uniform and belt sometime this summer. I am trying to imagine how to blend my traditional coven robes with the Order's uniform so that I need not choose when doing public ritual.

QUESTION: Can I get a digital copy of the logo so that I can properly arrange for printing on the backs of our gi uniforms?

QUESTION: I know I read it somewhere... But what is the meaning behind the symbolism of the logo for the Order of Scathach?

In the introduction, we are advised to keep a BOS for the this Order. This blog serves as my BOS. Otherwise, I have a Morrigan BOS that keeps any activity that is specific to being a Wiccan Warrior that I work with.

I appreciate the rule of the Dry Tradition. My coven is not a Dry Tradition, but our used of alcohol are not usually for drinking but for anointing or making offerings to the gods. Any public work, however remain Dry for the issue and respect of those who are recovering. We hold to a zero-tolerance regarding polluting your system which inhibits the proper and aware flow of energy. On that note, we too are adamantly drug free. The only drugs expected within our tradition are those by prescription (commonly someone's asthma pump).

On the notion of allergies and asthma pumps, I raise the concern of sage. This is one of my allergies. It is severe and fatal. It triggers an instant attack that my pump cannot help with. I cannot even be in environments that use it for outside rituals.

We too are kid friendly. Though we are small and there are few children among us, we work with the situations we have. If by some chance we will be doing work or engaged in talks that are not appropriate for the children present, the members will be forewarned. As we grow, we hope to be able to provide programs for our growing younger population.

All in all, I am comfortable with everything found in this introduction. And look forward to the new steps and lessons on this path.

1 comment:

  1. I can gladly say Welcome, Welcome!

    You can find information on our heraldry under Roll of Arms on the Order of Scathach Blog at http://www.dunscathach.com/roll-of-arms.php. For ease, I've copied the relevant passage here:

    "The symbol of our Order originated back in the early 1990s. The moon represents the divine feminine. It represents the intuition and psychic power that directs and inspires us on our path as Warriors. The branch silhouetted against the moon is a symbol of the divinity which shines through us and illuminates our Warrior path. The upright branch represents the divine masculine. It represents the life energy, chi, that flows through us and helps us to grow and achieve on our Warrior path. This branch, with it's three leaves, represents our growth as Warriors through our three degrees: From Novice to Squire to Knight and, ultimately, to Master.

    "The three leaves also represent the dubbing ritual that forms part of the Arming ritual that makes us Knights. This is where the Grand Master taps the initiate with the sword first on the right shoulder, then the left shoulder, then the right shoulder again."

    As I indicated in my email to you, sage seems to be the "default" choice for smudging, but please feel free to use whichever method you prefer. I'm allergic to sage myself, so I generally use sweetgrass, which is also used at the Motherhouse when I attend. We use these items as symbols to represent something longer and more complex, as a shortcut for our subconscious minds. As long as everyone involved in ritual is speaking the same symbological language, feel free to substitute as your medical limitations require.

    As for the logo, I'll talk to Kerr and see what can be arranged. At this point we bring our gis to Kerr and he silkscreens them on for us . Maybe a large PDF would allow you to make a large enough template to make a silkscreen cutout? Do let me know.

    ReplyDelete